Sacred Heart Catholic School was opened in 1882. Three Sisters from the congregation of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament came to Hallettsville in January to open a motherhouse, novitiate and boarding school for girls, and a day school for boys and girls that was attended by Catholics and non-Catholics. Besides the primary and intermediate department, instruction was given in the regular high school subjects, together with music, Latin, Spanish, French and German. A new boys’ school was erected on the convent premises in 1892.
The institution continued until 1926 when the Sisters transferred their mother house to San Antonio, continuing only a grammar school in Hallettsville. The buildings were sold to the parish in 1928. In 1948, Sacred Heart Catholic School graduated the first class of eight students from the high school. In February 1950 the present school building was completed.
Additional buildings, improvements and renovations have been added through the years, concluding with the completion of an Advanced Learning Center and the renovation and expansion of classrooms in December of 2014. The Advanced Learning Center includes a new library and technology lab.